What is lasting Happiness and how can we achieve it?

Home Forums A Question of Happiness What is lasting Happiness and how can we achieve it?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of javiergarcia javiergarcia 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anonymous
    anonymous
    Participant

When reading Part One of the book, “Ethics for a New Millennium” a few concepts for lasting happiness were discussed numerous times. These were ethics, altruism, inner peace and long-term happiness.
         The Dalai Lama talks about the idea of ethics, and how in order to be happy we must all abide by some form of ethics. Ethics can come in many forms. We can be guided by ethics due to law, religion, up-bring, etc. Things in my life that made me an ethical being are the morals that were instilled in me, by my family, as a young child. As I grew, the ethical decisions I make come from my inner self and spirituality. I believe life is made up of many choices, and the choices I make will affect my path as well as others. Being ethical or morally sound plays a big role in the decisions I make. In the book, he also talks about the idea of religion and how there isn’t really a set of rules or ideas that fit all. This is where many religions come about. And a lot of individuals and groups believe that their religion is more “right” than another. If we can all see and understand the different forms and how they are very much shaped from their culture, we can learn to appreciate other’s ideas and not immediately reject their thoughts and beliefs. If we can learn to appreciate everyone’s different views, we can begin to live in a more cohesive, happy place.
         The book examines the idea of altruism. Altruism, or selflessness, is the principle or practice of concern for the welfare of others. It is believing as well as practicing that when you do good things for others, that not only will it benefit them, but also it will benefit you. In my life this very much applies to the idea of “karma”. What goes around comes around. If you can carry yourself in life to do good onto others, and everyone in your life does the same, eventually this will lead to a chain-reaction where everyone is doing kind deeds for others. And because of the kindness, when something bad or unfortunate happens in our lives we can react positively rather than lashing out. In order for me to be truly happy, everyone must be happy.
         Inner peace goes along with altruism, in regards to the fact that to be a happy person, you must be happy internally. Altruism seems to be external, to me, while inner peace is very dependent on the self. To truly be happy in life, we must be happy with ourselves. Internally we must be at peace with the decisions we make and paths we choose to go down. It reminds me of when something really good happens to a friend of yours. A stroke of luck happens and something turns out really great for them. It’s extremely hard to happy for them when you feel you have terrible luck and nothing goes your way. To be accepting, you have to come to terms with your luck, or perhaps destiny, and realize you are most likely lucky in other department of your life, in order to be happy for that friend. To lead a healthy, happy life, you must be accepting of yourself.
         And lastly, he also discusses the idea of long-term happiness. As Americans, we are very much dependent on immediate satisfaction. We live in a world of many new technologies and resources that can provide us with instant gratification. This is very different from many third world or undeveloped countries in opposition to ours. In those countries they face illness such as disease and sickness due to their living conditions, whereas we suffer from another kind of illness, mental illness. So yes, we may have all the money in the world, have a home, a car, a job, the latest and greatest cell-phone or facial cream. But with all that comes stress, anxiety, depression, and loneliness. We have surrounded ourselves with many things, but not many people. In order to be happy for the long-term and not just right now, we cannot have dependencies on materialist items, we must surround ourselves with people we love, and we must take pleasure in “the simple things”. We cannot be bogged down by what will make me happy today, and remember to make decisions that will make me happy tomorrow and into the future.
         So what is lasting happiness? I believe it’s different for everyone, but the essentials are being thoughtful of others, making decisions that are right for you and right for others, to honestly think about the consequences of your actions before taking a path, to be aware of who you truly are, and to share experiences with others. Because what good is a wonderful moment if you cannot share it with someone?

Profile photo of anonymous
    anonymous
    Participant

It may sound funny but i think that every happiness is lasting as well as an acute one.. It’s like that u cannot be happy throughout your life for the same reason even if the reason is winning the world but when u think about some good deed done by you in past a smile appears on your face u feel the same kind of satisfaction again which u felt during doing that thing. If u wanna be happy then u need to have a lot of reasons for that

Profile photo of arabelaalborn
    arabelaalborn
    Participant

have a healthy body, have family,friends, and do not worry about the money, this is lasting happiness..

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of arabelaalborn arabelaalborn.
    Profile photo of coco
    coco
    Participant

I’ll get married soon.which style do you think best [url=http://www.shiningprom.com/lace-wedding-dresses]Lace Wedding Dresses[/url]

Profile photo of coco
    coco
    Participant

I’ll get married soon.which style of Lace Wedding Dresses do you think best 

Profile photo of Clio Herbert
    Clio Herbert
    Participant

The Dalai Lama explains lasting happiness as something that comes from within. It can not be achieved with the accumulation of materialistic things. Nor is it the immediate relief/happiness we experience when we eat food after a long day or work. But rather it is our inner selves and how we conduct ourselves through life. “…that inner peace is the principal characteristic of happiness,… explains the paradox that while we can all think of people who remain dissatisfied, despite having every material advantage, there are others who remain happy, not with standing the most difficult circumstances.” (pg.55) By finding inner peace one may also achieve lasting happiness. Lasting happiness is also found in the individuals connections with others. “…genuine happiness consists in those spiritual qualities of love and compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, humility, and so on. It is these which provide happiness both for ourselves and for others.” (pg. 62) So by following your (an) ethical code, and realizing in yourself what brings you inner peace (and how to obtain it). The individual may experience lasting happiness. Since we are all interconnected the key is to be aware of your actions and how they affect others. “When we act to fulfill our immediate desires without taking into account others interests, we undermine the possibility of lasting happiness.” (pg. 53)

Profile photo of javiergarcia
    javiergarcia
    Participant

[url=http://www.uspromdress.com/tight-prom-dress]tight prom dress[/url]

Profile photo of javiergarcia
    javiergarcia
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.