Societal Ethics

Home Forums Personal and Societal Ethics Societal Ethics

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of elliott elliott 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bryson Smith
    Bryson Smith
    Participant

Ethics matter to me because without ethical behavior in society, humanity is doomed to spend a lot of time suffering. People are generally ethical in their personal conduct, but as a society we often make decisions without looking at the ethical implications; businesses often conduct their ventures without considering the ethicality of their decisions. If we are to move forward as a society we have to understand the implications of our decisions. I think that humans are intrinsically ethical, most people have an understanding of right or wrong, but when we make more abstract decisions we don’t understand how they are going to affect other people. I think this relates to the Dalai Lama’s view that we need to expand our notion of self. Expanding our notion of self to include others allows us to make social change a personal imperative. If a business was to consider the effects different decisions and practices have through universal lenses, many environmental and social problems that plague our world would be much alleviated. A greater universal consciousness is crucial to developing a better world for all people.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.